A Walk through the Dean Cemetery, Edinburgh.

It stands on the site of Dean House (built 1614), part of Dean Estate which had been purchased in 1609 by Sir William Nisbet, who became in 1616 Lord Provost of Edinburgh. The Nisbets of Dean held the office of Hereditary Poulterer to the King. The famous herald, Alexander Nisbet, of Nisbet House, near Duns, Berwickshire, is said to have written his Systems of Heraldry in Dean House. The estate house was demolished in 1845, and Sculptured stones from it are incorporated into the south terrace wall supporting the edge of the cemetery. for more click here

for more click here

Images of History at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery

The Scottish National Portrait Gallery is an art museum on Queen Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, which holds the national collections of portraits, all of which are of, but not necessarily by, Scots. In addition it also holds the Scottish National Photography Collection. Since 1889 it has been housed in its red sandstone Gothic revival building, designed by Robert Rowand Anderson and built between 1885 and 1890, donated by John Ritchie Findlay, owner of The Scotsman newspaper. The gallery reopened on 1 December 2011 after being closed since April 2009 for the first comprehensive refurbishment in its history, which was carried out by Page\Park Architects for more click here

http://youtu.be/wEBj6xJ89Vc

The St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church

The St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church was established as a result of the union of St Nicholas Parish Church and Buccleuch (Parish) Church in 1980. The union confirmed that the united congregation would use the buildings of St Nicholas Church known locally as “the Auld Kirk”. The history of the St Nicholas Church in Dalkeith is in many ways the history of the town itself.  It is thought that a chapel to the Christian martyr St Nicholas stood on the site of the current Church since the early 12th Century. It is known that the Church gained collegiate status in 1406 and was extensively rebuilt by 1420. The architectural outline of the 1420 building conforms to that of the present day in many respects with the notable exception of the steeple which was erected much later. for more click here

http://youtu.be/X6954FpEdNE

Iona Nunnery

The Iona Nunnery was an Augustinian convent located on the island of Iona in the Inner Hebrides off the west coast of Scotland. It was established sometime after the foundation of the nearby Benedictine monastery in 1203. Bethóc, daughter of Somerled, was first prioress. The ruins of the nunnery stand in a peaceful garden adjacent to Iona’s main (and only) village, Baile Mor. They form the most complete remains of a medieval nunnery extant in Scotland. After the Reformation, the priory was dissolved and reduced to rubble. for more click here

http://youtu.be/mDwCWsy2pZQ